Friday, August 15, 2014

You Call That a Souvenir?

Uggghhh! Mommy Commentary has only been up for a couple of weeks and I've already gone a whole week without posting.  For shame!

Well, it has been an interesting week around here.  Thing 2 got his first tooth!
I swear it's there...

...and I'm pretty sure the second tooth will be joining us by the end of this weekend.

Hubby went out of town for a few days... and he went to to HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH! Ehh, if we were to get technical about it, he went to Orlando; and since it was business, he was in meetings like, 94.7% of the time.  

Here's the thing, Thing 1 has been asking for years to go to Disneyland (we live closer to California, and she probably doesn't realize that there is a difference).  So when it came time for Hubby to get her a souvenir, anything Disney was completely out of the question.  She would have lost her mind thinking that he went to Disneyland/World without her.

So he got her a NASA t-shirt.... ಠ_ಠ

Now I have nothing against NASA. Hey, they put a man on the moon <cue patriotic music and crowd applause>...


But, NASA today doesn't quite seem like the NASA of yesteryear, or even the NASA that secretly has Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck tucked away in a hangar somewhere learning how to drill in space (umm that was 16 years ago, bt-dubs, geez I feel old).  Besides, Thing 1 is a seven-year-old little girl obsessed with all things girly and princess-y.  

I'm not trying to pigeon hole her life choices, but really... a NASA t-shirt... I suggested a key chain so she can be one of those obnoxious kids whose key chain collection weighs 8x the backpack that its hanging off of.  I mean, from my perspective, any of these would probably have been better choices..


It has pink and purple


...alright, so maybe she wouldn't understand the the last one, but it's still better than a NASA t-shirt...right?

After all, what is NASA really up to these days? Studying Space dust to help explain the origin and evolution of the universe.... psshhh, I study dust daily. Launching a new field study campaign to assess climate change in the Arctic... wish I could have spent my summer flying around the Arctic, would have been a pretty nice alternative to this Arizona heat.  Planning which performances to catch at SXSW 2015...? Umm, hells yeah! I'm down to hit up SXSW, in fact it's on my bucket list.

OK, ok, so maybe since the shuttles were grounded in 2011, NASA has been finding more productive ways to occupy its time than I first assumed.  Maybe I was a little hasty to reject my husbands heartfelt gift.  Granted she had to ask what NASA was. And I was surprised that after husband's matter of fact response of "National Aeronautics and Space Administration", she knew that it was "the people who put people into space".  

If I know my daughter, this shirt could go one of two ways.  It will sit on its hanger and collect dust, maybe not interstellar dust, but dust nonetheless.  Or maybe, just maybe, she'll go the road less traveled (for her) and want to learn more about space and all the other various arenas that NASA is working in these days.  Maybe she'll go college and study some kind of engineering, and then she'll help develop the next rover to navigate the desolate landscape of Mars.  Perhaps she'll major in one of the many -ology fields, and will gather more evidence of climate change, or better yet, maybe she'll come up with a solution!  Or maybe she'll stick to her current plan of being a nurse that is also a gymnastics coach.  

All I know is, I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning to see this...

Hubby says she picked it out all by herself. You did good babe, you did good.

No comments:

Post a Comment